Don’t miss out — Make your emails mobile friendly!
The age of mobile email is upon us, as now fully 51 percent of emails are opened from a mobile platform of some kind. Since that number is only going to grow, it’s definitely time to make sure we are optimizing our emails to guarantee they not only render well on a mobile platform, but also provide us with the best chance to get results! But exactly how do we do that? What steps do we need to take to ensure we are optimized for mobile? There are a number of items to check off here, so let’s get going!
5 Tips for optimizing email for mobile
- The shorter the better – People on the go don’t have time to read a long piece, especially due to the size of the screen they are working with. You want your emails to short, concise, and leading quickly to a desired action. Shorter wins in mobile!
- Make it big! – Use a larger font, no less than 14 point for text and 22 for headlines, and avoid using colored backgrounds. It’s hard enough to see what’s on your screen without you making it harder. Black on white is where it’s at!
- Calls to action should be seen – Make your call to action links and buttons stick out! Also, the nearer the top you can position them the better conversion rates you’ll have.
- Give thought to sender names and 1st lines – A lot of email clients (Apple in particular) make their sender names bigger than the subject line. Also, avoid having anything in your email template that uses your first line, (like an unsubscribe notice) as these are also often visible.
- Make buttons a decent size – Ever try and click a small link or button on your phone? Irritating, isn’t it! Don’t be that guy! Make them at least 44 pixels in height and width, so they aren’t tempted to chuck theirr phone across the room! You’re looking for clicks, right?